About Me

My photo
Welcome to Himalaya Insight. I am Abid and I grew up in the beautiful Leh-ladakh India. I have been in the adventure travel service industry for more than 15 years. I like the mountains and the neighboring flora it brings. Please feel free to ask me any questions about travel to Ladakh

Monday, December 28, 2009

MUHARRAM IN LEH-LADAKH

Leh, December 28, 2009
Beating their chests, flagellating themselves severely on foreheads shouting religious slogans hundreds of Shia Muslims carried out their Muharram procession through the Leh bazaar today.

Many of them were seen carried away to the ambulance after falling unconscious. A large number of spectators also turned up to witness this religious sense of mourning over the sufferings of Imam Hussain on the day of Ashurah known among Shia Muslims as 'the day of grief', and which is called Yaumu-l 'Ashurah.

Shia Muslims in Leh are mainly concentrated in the Chushot village of the Indus River belt, which is about 12 kilometers from the Leh town.

No comments:

Post a Comment