About Me

My photo
Welcome to Himalaya Insight. I am Abid and I grew up in the beautiful Leh-ladakh India. I have been in the adventure travel service industry for more than 15 years. I like the mountains and the neighboring flora it brings. Please feel free to ask me any questions about travel to Ladakh

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

LEH PALACE

LEH PALACE overlooks the Ladakh Himalayan town of Leh,modeled on the Potala palace in Lhasa,Tibet.The palace was build by kind singge Namgyal in the 17th century,but was later abandoned when dogras force took cantrol of Ladakh in the mid-19th century.The royal family moved to stok palace.Leh Palace is nine storeys high;the upper floors accommodated the royal family,the stables and store rooms were in the lower floors.
The palace ,a ruin,is currently being restored by the archeoligical survey of India.The palace is open to the public and the roof provides panoramic views of leh and
the surrounding areas.The mountain of stok kangri in the Zangskar mountain ramge is visible across the Indis valley to the south,with the Ladakh mountain range rising behind the palace to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment